Your grade 8 double bass ABRSM exam will be marked out of 150 and you will need a total of 100 marks to Pass, 120 marks for a Merit and 130 marks for a Distinction. The exam comprises of four main areas:
In your exam you are required to play three pieces (worth up to 30 marks each), one from each of the three lists, A, B and C below:
- Cimador Allegro: 1st movt from Concerto in G (Yorke YE0003)
- H. Eccles Adagio and Corrente (Allegro con spirito): 3rd and 2nd movts from Sonata in G minor, trans. Zimmermann (IMC 1712)
- Pergolesi Comodo and Presto: 1st and 4th movts from Sinfonia in F (separately, trans. Elliott: Bartholomew 010) or Three Sonatas for Double Bass and Piano (trans. Drew: University of Miami)
- Pichl Allegro moderato: 1st movt from Concerto in C (Bartholomew 007)
- Tartini Adagio cantabile, trans. Drew (St Francis Music Publications)
- Telemann Lento and Allegro, or Lento and Allegro: 1st and 2nd, or 3rd and 4th movts from Sonata in D, TWV 41:D6, trans. Sankey (IMC 2304)
- Vivaldi Largo and Allegro, or Largo and Allegro: 1st and 2nd, or 3rd and 4th movts from Sonata No. 6 in Bb, RV 46. Vivaldi Complete Sonatas for Violoncello (Bärenreiter BA 6995) or (separately, trans. Zimmermann: IMC 1473)
- Bellini, arr. Bottesini Final de La somnambule. No. 3 from Bottesini Arias for Double Bass and Piano (Yorke YE0023)
- Bottesini Rêverie in D (McTier Music MM 203)
- Dittersdorf Adagio: 2nd movt from Concerto No. 2. Dittersdorf Concertos for Double Bass (Yorke YE0059)
- Fauré Après un rêve, trans. Zimmermann (IMC 1740)
- Goué Concertino, Op. 10 (Billaudot R19143)
- Nielsen Romanze: No. 1 from Fantasy Pieces, Op. 2, trans. Drew (St Francis Music Publications)
- Tuláček Valse miniature. No. 2 from Tuláček Three Pieces for Double Bass and Piano (Recital Music RM021)
- Christopher Benstead Finale (Presto): No. 4 from Four Episodes (Yorke YE0085) accomp.
- Bottesini Study No. 110 or No. 114: from Method for Double Bass, Part 1 (Yorke YE0076) solo
- Derek Bourgeois Allegro pesante or Allegro commodo: No. 5 or No. 8 from Fantasy Pieces for Double Bass (Brass Wind) solo
- Dragonetti No. 7 or No. 8: from 12 Waltzes (Henle HN 847) solo
- Piazzolla Kicho (starting at Allegro) (Tonos) accomp.
- A. Reynolds Hornpipe (Bartholomew 004) accomp.
- A. Ridout Grave: 1st movt from Concerto for Double Bass (Yorke YE0044) accomp.
- Eric Scrève Sweet Bass Ballad (Combre C06547) accomp.
Scales & Arpeggios
As part of your exam you are also required to play scales & arpeggios from memory (worth up to 21 marks) - please see the ABRSM Double Bass Grades 6-8 Scale Book
You will also be required to sight-read some music that you have not seen before (worth up to 21 marks) - to prepare for this part of your exam please see the ABRSM Double Bass Grades 6-8 Sight-Reading Book which has a selection of specimen sight-reading pieces.
In another part of your exam you will be required to complete a set of aural tests challenging your musicianship (worth up to 18 marks). To help prepare for this please see the ABRSM Aural Training in Practice Grades 6-8 Book (a guide with tests) and/or ABRSM Specimen Sight-Reading Tests Grade 8 Book (specimen tests).
*Information correct at time of publishing 14.03.16