Your grade 7 double bass ABRSM exam will be marked out of 150 and you will need a total of 100 marks to Pass, 120 marks for a Merit and 130 marks for a Distinction. The exam comprises of four main areas:
In your exam you are required to play three pieces (worth up to 30 marks each), one from each of the three lists, A, B and C below:
- Capuzzi Allegro: 1st movt from Concerto in D (Yorke YE0011)
- Corelli Preludio (Largo) and Giga (Allegro): 1st and 4th movts from Sonata in D minor [C minor], trans. Zimmermann (IMC 1766)
- De Fesch Sarabande (Largo) and Minuet: 3rd and 4th movts from Sonata in G (IMC 2489)
- B. Marcello Largo and Allegro: 3rd and 4th movts from Sonata in G minor, Op. 2 No. 4. Marcello Six Sonatas (G. Schirmer GS26269 ) or (separately: IMC 1661)
- Mozart Rondo (Tempo di minuetto): 3rd movt from Bassoon Concerto, K. 191, trans. Sankey (IMC 2421)
- Vivaldi Largo and Allegro: 1st and 2nd movts from Sonata No. 2 in F, RV 41. Vivaldi Complete Sonatas for Violoncello (Bärenreiter BA 6995: low Cs and Ds may be adapted ) or (separately, trans. Zimmermann: IMC 2303)
- Ratez Cantabile: No. 2 from Six pièces caractéristiques, Op. 46 (separately: Billaudot CC95) or Ratez Characteristic Pieces, Book 1 (Recital Music RM189)
- Rossini Une larme (Recital Music RM303)
- Saint-Säens Aria ‘Mon coeur s’ouvre à ta voix’, arr. McTier (McTier Music MM 207)
- Vaughan Williams Romanza (observing 8vas): 2nd movt from Concerto for Bass Tuba (tuba edition: OUP)
- Verdi Aria (from Rigoletto). No. 10 from Solos for the Double Bass Player, arr. Zimmermann (G. Schirmer GS33083)
- J. P. Waud Novelette. No. 35 from Yorke Solos for Double Bass, Vol. 1 (Yorke YE0087)
- Bottesini Study No. 71 or No. 109: from Method for Double Bass, Part 1 (Yorke YE0076) solo
- Derek Bourgeois Pomposo or Tempo di valse: No. 2 or No. 4 from Fantasy Pieces for Double Bass (Brass Wind) solo
- Paul Breuer Allegro ma non troppo: 1st movt from Sonatine (Breitkopf & Härtel BG 506) accomp.
- Teppo Hauta-aho Erkon Elegia (Recital Music RM104) solo
- Norman Hester The Bull Steps Out (Yorke YE0070) accomp.
- B. Hummel Allegro: 1st movt from Sonatina, Op. 69b (Simrock EE 2989) accomp.
- Dennis Leogrande May I? (Spartan Press SP930) accomp.
Scales & Arpeggios
As part of your exam you are also required to play scales & arpeggios from memory (worth up to 21 marks) - please see the ABRSM Double Bass Grades 6-8 Scale Book
You will also be required to sight-read some music that you have not seen before (worth up to 21 marks) - to prepare for this part of your exam please see the ABRSM Double Bass Grades 6-8 Sight-Reading Book which has a selection of specimen sight-reading pieces.
In another part of your exam you will be required to complete a set of aural tests challenging your musicianship (worth up to 18 marks). To help prepare for this please see the ABRSM Aural Training in Practice Grades 6-8 Book (a guide with tests) and/or ABRSM Specimen Sight-Reading Tests Grade 7 Book (specimen tests).
*Information correct at time of publishing 14.03.16