Your grade 6 double bass ABRSM exam will be marked out of 150 and you will need a total of 100 marks to Pass, 120 marks for a Merit and 130 marks for a Distinction. The exam comprises of four main areas:
In your exam you are required to play three pieces (worth up to 30 marks each), one from each of the three lists, A, B and C below:
- Capuzzi Rondo (Allegro): 3rd movt from Concerto in D (Yorke YE0011)
- Galliard Adagio and Allegro: 1st and 2nd movts from Sonata in D minor, trans. Drew. String Festival Solos, Double Bass Vol. 2 (Alfred–Belwin EL95110: piano accomp. published separately, EL95109)
- Giordani Larghetto. Two Eighteenth-Century Pieces, arr. Sterling (Stainer & Bell H468)
- B. Marcello Largo and Allegro: 3rd and 4th movts from Sonata in F, Op. 2 No. 1. Marcello Six Sonatas (G. Schirmer GS26269)
- S. Paxton The Bush aboon Traquair (A Scots Air) and Vivace: 2nd and 3rd movts from Sonata in D, Op. 3 No. 2, trans. Elliott (Bartholomew 005)
- Vivaldi Allegro: 4th movt from Sonata No. 1 in B b, RV 47. Vivaldi Complete Sonatas for Violoncello (Bärenreiter BA 6995) or (separately, trans. Zimmermann: IMC 2302)
- Beethoven Sonatina. No. 6 from Solos for the Double Bass Player, arr. Zimmermann (G. Schirmer GS33083)
- Gabriel-Marie La Cinquantaine. No. 6 from Suzuki Bass School, Vol. 4 (Alfred–Summy-Birchard 28359: pianoaccomp. published separately, 28360) or (separately, arr. Elliott: Bartholomew 001)
- Keÿper Romance: No. 1 from Romance and Rondo (Yorke YE0030)
- John Merle Caballero. Festival Performance Solos – String Bass (Carl Fischer BF5: piano accomp. published separately, BF6)
- Pascal Proust Arcades (Combre C05483)
- John Walton A Deep Song (Yorke YE0005)
- L. Bernstein America (from West Side Story) (observing repeats). Amazing Solos for Double Bass, arr. Schofield (Boosey & Hawkes) accomp.
- Bottesini Study No. 40 or No. 50: from Method for Double Bass, Part 1 (Yorke YE0076) solo
- Derek Bourgeois Allegro commodo: No. 3 from Fantasy Pieces for Double Bass (Brass Wind) solo
- Gavin Bryars Room 42. Time Pieces for Double Bass, Vol. 2, arr. Slatford (ABRSM) accomp.
- P. M. Dubois Le gai cascadeur (Le Rideau Rouge RR1068) accomp.
- Teppo Hauta-aho A Little Waltz (Pieni Valssi): from Teppo’s Tunes (Recital Music RM068) accomp.
- Sturm Andante and Moderato: Nos 3 and 4 from 110 Studies for String Bass, Op. 20, Vol. 1 (IMC 2079) solo
Scales & Arpeggios
As part of your exam you are also required to play scales & arpeggios from memory (worth up to 21 marks) - please see the ABRSM Double Bass Grades 6-8 Scale Book
You will also be required to sight-read some music that you have not seen before (worth up to 21 marks) - to prepare for this part of your exam please see the ABRSM Double Bass Grades 6-8 Sight-Reading Book which has a selection of specimen sight-reading pieces.
In another part of your exam you will be required to complete a set of aural tests challenging your musicianship (worth up to 18 marks). To help prepare for this please see the ABRSM Aural Training in Practice Grades 6-8 Book (a guide with tests) and/or ABRSM Specimen Sight-Reading Tests Grade 6 Book (specimen tests).
*Information correct at time of publishing 14.03.16