Your grade 3 double bass ABRSM exam will be marked out of 150 and you will need a total of 100 marks to Pass, 120 marks for a Merit and 130 marks for a Distinction. The exam comprises of four main areas:
In your exam you are required to play three pieces (worth up to 30 marks each), one from each of the three lists, A, B and C below:
- Azaïs Menuet. No. 22 from La Contrebasse classique, Vol. A, arr. Dehant (Combre C05440)
- attrib. J. S. Bach First Minuet in D minor (BWV Anh. II 121) (observing 1st repeat). P. 9 from The Anna Magdalena Bach Notebook for Double Bass, arr. Elliott (Bartholomew 009: piano accomp. published separately, 009a)
- L. Couperin Menuet de Poitou (omitting DC) Time Pieces for Double Bass, Vol. 1, arr. Slatford (ABRSM)
- Lully Air and Chaconne (from Le bourgeois gentilhomme) Time Pieces for Double Bass, Vol. 1, arr. Slatford (ABRSM)
- Gerhard Deutschmann Menuett and Trio. No. 9 from Yorke Solos for Double Bass, Vol. 1 (Yorke YE0087)
- Mozart Allegro (K. 3). No. 2 from Subterranean Solos, arr. Hartley (Bartholomew 006: piano accomp. published separately, 006a)
- Grieg Norwegian Dance (Op. 35). No. 5 from Subterranean Solos, arr. Hartley (Bartholomew 006: piano accomp. published separately, 006a)
- Gurlitt Voyage de nuit. No. 20 from La Contrebasse classique, Vol. A, arr. Dehant (Combre C05440)
- Sheila Joynes The Old Sea Dog. No. 52 from Bass is Best! Yorke Mini-Bass Book 2, arr. Emery and Barratt (Yorke YE0098)
- John Merle Mummers (Danse grotesque). Festival Performance Solos – String Bass (Carl Fischer BF5: piano accomp. published separately, BF6)
- Schumann Melody (from Op. 68). Time Pieces for Double Bass, Vol. 1, arr. Slatford (ABRSM)
- Verdi Grand March (from Aïda). Amazing Solos for Double Bass, arr. Schofield (Boosey & Hawkes)
- Aprile Solfeggio No. 3 (upper part) (ornaments optional). Time Pieces for Double Bass, Vol. 1, arr. Slatford (ABRSM) (with the published piano (not double bass) accomp.) solo or accomp.
- Frederick Boaden Prelude: 1st movt from Petite Suite (Yorke YEC47358) accomp.
- Teppo Hauta-aho Scott: 3rd movt from Jazz Sonatine [No. 1]. No. 1 from Hauta-aho Pizzicato Pieces, Book 1 (Recital Music RM097) solo
- Mozart, trans. Hindemith O Iso ed Osiro. Hindemith Stücke für Kontrabass solo (Schott ED 8378) solo
- Tony Osborne Bassa Nova (pizz or arco or combination): No. 3 from Junior Jazz Book 1 (Recital Music RM037) accomp.
- Michael Rose Jumbo Rag: from A Sketchbook for Double Bass (ABRSM) accomp.
- David Tutt Spanish Dance. No. 8 from Bass is Best! Yorke Mini-Bass Book 2, arr. Emery and Barratt (Yorke YE0098) accomp.
Scales & Arpeggios
As part of your exam you are also required to play scales & arpeggios from memory (worth up to 21 marks) - please see the ABRSM Double Bass Grades 1-5 Scale Book
You will also be required to sight-read some music that you have not seen before (worth up to 21 marks) - to prepare for this part of your exam please see the ABRSM Double Bass Grades 1-5 Sight-Reading Book which has a selection of specimen sight-reading pieces.
In another part of your exam you will be required to complete a set of aural tests challenging your musicianship (worth up to 18 marks). To help prepare for this please see the ABRSM Aural Training in Practice Grades 1-3 Book (a guide with tests) and/or ABRSM Specimen Sight-Reading Tests Grades 1-3 Book (specimen tests).
*Information correct at time of publishing 14.03.16