Product Description by our Music Experts
The Jazz Piano Player Autumn Leaves album trains you how to improvise and interpret 16 classic jazz standards that every aspiring jazz pianist should know. Example interpretations by John Kember are notated and recordings are provided on the accompanying CD.
Learn to improvise or play example interpretations
Many jazz classics are covered in The Jazz Piano Player Autumn Leaves album, including ‘I get a kick out of you’, ‘Summertime’, and ‘Ain’t Misbehavin’’ - originally recorded by singers such as Michael Bublé, Ella Fitzgerald and Nat King Cole and pianists such as Oscar Peterson, Bill Evans and Keith Jarrett.
Each piece in Jazz Piano Player Autumn Leaves is presented in 2 formats, both of which have the same chord structures and are labelled with chord diagrams:
1. The first format is just the piano chords (notated & labelled) and vocal part (melody & lyrics) to give you a feel for the piece and the chord changes (around grade 3 standard) - perfect for getting to know the song and improvising over.
2. The second format is an example solo piano arrangement by John Kember to give you an example of where to take the melody and how to voice the chords - there are also recordings of these examples on the CD. These example interpretations are suitable for intermediate-advanced pianists (grades 5-8), and includes dynamics, articulation, performance directions and chord diagrams.
As the piano chords in the first format are only around grade 3 level, this book is suitable for all players from this level upwards; you can improvise to your own standard over the basic chords, and keep developing your interpretations of these classics as you become more confident - you can make it as difficult as you like! The Jazz Piano Player Autumn Leaves will help you develop your jazz pianists soloist, accompanist and ensemble skills.
Useful guide to playing jazz chords
In the introduction of Jazz Piano Player Autumn Leaves there is a really useful guide to playing jazz chords, including tips on inversions, suspended 4ths, 6ths, 7ths, 11ths and 13ths, perfect for pianists who are new to jazz - a great resource for any aspiring jazz pianist!
- Ain’t misbehavin’ - T. ‘Fats’ Waller, H. Brooks
- Autumn leaves - J. Kosma
- Come rain or come shine - H. Arlen
- Embraceable you - G. Gershwin, I. Gershwin
- Emily - J. Mandel
- Ev’ry time we say goodbye - C. Porter
- I could write a book -R. Rogers
- I didn’t know what time it was - R. Rogers
- I get a kick out of you - C. Porter
- I got it bad and that ain’t good -E. Ellington
- My funny Valentine - R. Rogers
- Nice work if you can get it - G. Gershwin, I. Gershwin
- September song - K. Weill
- Someone to watch over me - G. Gershwin, I. Gershwin
- Summertime - G. Gershwin, D.B. Heyward, D. Heyward, I. Gershwin
- Try to remember - H. Schmidt